Sunday, October 1, 2017

Time is Flying

Wow, I can't believe that September is almost over. I have no doubt that October will go just as fast and before we know it, we'll be on Thanksgiving break thinking "only 2 more weeks!" When Dr. Parker told us how fast this semester would go, I honestly didn't believe him. I thought it would be the longest semester so far. But, I am ready to get stuff done and start student teaching! At the begining of the semester I was panicking, but the closer we get to student teaching, the more prepared I feel. I am really starting to fall into place at my clinical experience. I am a quiet and reserved person, so it has been hard for me to take those steps and talk to the faculty and the students and make myself known. I am much more comfortable observing from afar. This past week, I had more opportunities to interact with the students and assist them during independent or group work. I also had a chance to interact with some of them outside of class, like in the hallways or at lunch. Interacting with the other teachers and staff is still a struggle for me. I usually sit back and listen, but I have set a goal for myself to start conversing and adding my input. This should help me with NCTCS 1 and working collaboratively with my colleagues.

This upcoming week, I am teaching the Math 1 class on Monday and Wednesday. I have been working with my CE to plan my lessons and get everything in order. Currently, the class is studying slope and linear equations. My lesson on Monday is a review lesson from their introduction to slope last week. I have planned a game of SLOPE, or BINGO to help them review and practice these concepts a little more before moving on this week. On Wednesday, we will look at creating linear equations from word problems. I am looking forward to this lesson, because it provides me with a great chance to work on that literacy strategy component of edTPA. My CE gave me several ideas for this one, but I am still finalizing my plan. I am trying to come up with the best way possible to facilitate the learning of this concept for my students (NCTCS 4). At the end of my lesson on Wednesday, I want to know what my students liked and didn't like about my teaching to help prepare me for student teaching. So, I have created a quick survey for them complete for me. This will also help me reflect on my practice later (NCTCS 5).

I am really looking forward to getting my feet wet this week and getting a taste of what is to come in only a few short months. Good luck to anyone else teaching this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment