Friday, September 15, 2017

Week 4

It's the end of week four and we are already closing in on the end of September. I can't believe how fast time is flying, but I am so ready to get this last semester of coursework over. I am spending more and more time in my clinical experience, observing what's going on, and getting to know the students.  The closer we get, the more excited, and nervous, I get to take over the classroom in January.

Each week, I spend two full days in my clinical, usually Tuesdays and Friday's. Last Friday my CE did "break out boxes" with her Math 1 class. If you are like me and have not heard about break out boxes or seen them in action, I suggest you do! They are a great hands-on and fun activity that can be used in any subject area. The students absolutely loved it! Break out boxes start with a simple tool box that is locked on top of locks, on top of locks, on top of locks...Students begin with a QR code they have to scan to get their first problem. The solution to that problem opens a separate box that contains a key, a flashlight that will read invisible ink, and more problems. Students then use those materials to open the other locks. Once they "break out" there is a prize inside the box. Breaking out can be as easy or as hard as the teacher decides to make it. This is a wonderful way for teachers to facilitate learning for their students. During this time students are thinking mathematically and critically, they are exercising problem solving skills, and they are building their collaboration skills while working in teams (NCTCS 4). So much is going on here, and again the students love it! Here is a link to Breakout EDU so you can learn more about it.

My CE goes above and beyond the expectations set on her to use a variety of instructional methods (NCTCS 4). She refuses to teach from a textbook. Instead, she looks for ways to keep her students engaged and focused. She prints out guided notes for the students everyday and the students have an interactive notebook which they tape their notes into. She's also doing small activities almost everyday and a larger activity at least once a week. These activities always build on the students understanding of what they have been learning. I honestly wonder how she does all the planning she must need to prepare for all that she does. She has offered me access to her notebooks from previous years, I know they will be a huge help to me next semester.

As for outside research, after hearing Dr. Clark talk about the 8 mathematical practices, I knew I needed to refresh my memory on these. I have heard of them in the past, but I didn't know them off
the top of my head. I found a very helpful Scholastic article on this topic. Here is a link:                     8 Mathematical Practices. This article lists the 8 mathematical practices, describes what each one means, tells you how you can "own" each one, and gives some great resources.


2 comments:

  1. Sarah,
    Wow, I love the idea of breakout boxes! I have heard of them before but I was not entirely sure what they were like so I appreciated your explanation. How cool is it that students get to practice problem-solving, critical thinking, and collaboration skills all at once, while participating in an engaging activity! I a so glad that you have gained so much knowledge already about how your CE uses a variety of instructional methods and does not keep things basic and routine in the classroom. Student teaching is definitely approaching fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    Like you I had never heard of breakout boxes before but the way that you explained it makes it seem like a really good way to get students excited about learning. I will definitely do more research on that. It sounds like you have a great CE. Textbooks tend to be a very outdated way to learn so it's good that she is recognizing what her students need. I'm sure that is really going to help you in student teaching!

    ReplyDelete