Saturday, October 21, 2017

End of October, Say What!?

Hey guys!
It's been a few weeks since we've blogged and a lot has happened! About two weeks ago I was able to teach two lessons in my clinical. I was super nervous, but I think it went well. To help with my refection of the lessons, after my second lesson I had the students answer a few questions:
1. Did you learn anything form Miss. Ramsey? If so, what?
2. What did you like about Miss. Ramsey's teaching?
3. What did you not like?
4. How do you feel about Miss. Ramsey teaching you next semester?
5. Leave any other comments for Miss. Ramsey.

I stressed to the students to be honest on these questions and not worry about hurting my feelings. I wanted them to take these questions seriously so I could get a good understanding of how they learn best. I also wanted to know how they genuinely felt about the dynamics of the classroom changing after Christmas break, so that I can do what I can to help make the transition easier for everyone involved. I gained a lot of useful information through this short reflection activity. Some of the students admitted that they were nervous about having a student teacher, and they were worried they would not do as well. This was a major wake up call for me. I have been focused on my own achievement next semester, but I hadn't stopped to consider the achievement of my students as well. This really changed my way of thinking about next semester. It's important that my student teaching semester is successful and beneficial to my professional growth, but the connection has now been made that the academic success of my students is included in my success. One cannot happen without the other.

This short reflection was super helpful and provided me with some great information about my students. If you have the opportunity, I would suggest doing this with your students, especially if they are older and can take the reflection seriously. And, of course, this all relates to NCTCS 5: Teachers reflect on their practice.

Also, within the past few weeks, I have begun to move out of the "observation stage" and started working with the students more, particularly during their independent practice time. This past week the students took their quarter one benchmarks. It was interesting to see how this whole process took place. The beginning of the week started with my teacher preparing the students and reviewing the material that would be on the test. She spent class time reviewing and also stayed after school for two days to provide tutoring. On Wednesday they took their test, and some finished up on Thursday. Friday was filled with mixed emotions as I watched some students celebrate their scores as others were disappointed. This, I found out, was one of the highs and lows of being a teacher. You celebrate with the students who did well, while your mind races trying to figure out how to help the other students in the weeks to come.

I am going to relate this to one of the NC Professional Teaching Standards that we don't talk about as much: Standard 6, Teachers Contribute to the Academic Success of Students. A teacher's rating on this standard is measured by a student growth value calculated by the statewide growth model for educator effectiveness. The EOC/EOG assessments, Career and Technical Education Post-Assessments, and Measures of Student Learning provide the student data that is used to calculate the growth value. The student growth value places a teacher into one of the following categories:

  • Does not meet expected growth
  • Meets expected growth
  • Exceeds expected growth
After the benchmarks, my teacher immediately started planning for how she can better reach those students who did not meet the expected growth during the first quarter. As far as how to approach the students, she reflected long and hard. In the end, she decided to not place to much emphasis on the grade. She assured the students that this grade would not impact them the rest of the school year, but she also stressed that some of them needed buckle down and work hard and let her know how she could help them. 

That about catches me up on the hi lights of the past few weeks. Moving forward into the next week, I have obtained a copy of my schools improvement plan and have started to research other information needed to complete LE 5&6 in EDUC 435. I can't believe that we are headed into the last week of October, but it feels good to be marking off those tasks. I hope everyone has a great week! 

1 comment:

  1. Sarah,
    That's awesome how you give them a mini "survey" at the end of each lesson, I know that helps you so much and allows you to grow more in your teaching! In the world of teaching it's filled with so many mixed emotions especially when it comes to the way our students feel when they fail and when they succeed. You're going to be a great teacher, keep pushing forward!

    ReplyDelete